Top Ten Arabic Words to Learn This Week

Ahlan

I know I haven't posted in a while (first blogger's block). I had no idea what to write about. Do people actually plan their blog posts? Kinda hard to believe. So anyway, when I was supposed to be doing something important, my mind started wandering and I got the idea to continue my Top Ten Arabic series. To read my first Top Ten list, go here. It's basically my pick on the best Arabic words to learn this week. To learn more about my Arabic learning journey, go here.

So today's list is gonna come from a variety of sources, which are not limited to:
1. Watching NatGeo in Arabic
2. memrise.com
3. corpus.quran.com
4. Arabic-English dictionary

Ok! Let's get on to the list.


1.  Bisaraaha/ Saraaha (بِصَرَاحَØ©) Honestly
I've been hearing this a lot, especially at the beginning of a sentence and finally I was watching Fashion Star Arabic which is amazing because it has subtitles and I figured out that saraahah meant "honestly" or "frankly". I absolutely LOVE shows with subtitles because you get to have the feel of the language while getting the meaning. Did I mention that I love watching anime that's subbed? Japanese is so full of emotion. I'm just having recaps of Bleach when Noitra keeps screaming,"HOREGA SAYKYO" (I am powerful) Mind my Japanese.

2. Aththunu (أظُÙ†ُ) I think
I don't know about you, but I use this phrase a lot, I think. See what I did there? *wink. I watch cartoons in Arabic, isn't that cool? Or creepy? It's just that kids use the most basic words to talk and you can really catch on fast. Though I do draw the line at Sesame Street. No, I don't lol. I even know the intro song in Arabic.

3. Aalam (عالم) World
The thing about this root Ø¹ Ù„ Ù… is that it has so many meanings. Like the verb formed means to learn, the basic noun means knowledge so I guess somehow the world gets caught up in that. Yeah, seems feasible, right? We'll just go with that. Aalam=world. Just to get this clear, the "world" used in his context is for stuff like World of Words, World of Science. Ok, let's move on.

4. Akhdar (اخضر) Green
The colour green. The reason I added it to this list is because I was kinda proud of myself for recognising it somewhere. Someone had written it as Ø§Ø®Ø¯Ø± and I was like, hey isn't that wrong? And I didn't doubt myself at all. I just knew it so well, I could see the mistake this person had made.

5. Mathal (مثل) Example
This can be used as a noun as well as a verb. That's the thing about Arabic. It's got the easiest verb conjugations, then there are word manipulations. The good thing is you can get the general meaning of the word if you know what the root means.

6. Zahra  Ø²Ù‡Ø±Ø©) Flower
Here's a funny story for you. So there's two people called Flower. One's in Arabic (Zahra), and the other's in English (Flower). To cut the story short, Zahra was a great friend, amazing and stuff, and Flower was just a right old wench. Nice story, right? Oh My God, my writing needs help.

7. Shaarak (شارك) To share
Kinda similar, right. Share-Shaaraka. This word is from my Arabic course from the amazing course from memrise. Click here to see it. It's free!

8. Asbaha (أصبح) To become/ begin to do something
To become something. To become a new day. Do you know that the day for dawn is Subuh? It has the same root as the verb to begin. It's times like these when I appreciate the amazingness of Arabic.

9. Maa Zaala (ما زال) Still/ To continue to be
It's the opposite of Zaala which means to cease to be/ to cease to do. I saw this word  today while watching TV. I have this compulsive habit of googling whatever's on TV. For example:
Oh, is it Total Recall on rn?
K. lemme google it.
It's kinda annoying. Why can't I just watch like everyone else? I spoil for myself the movie and end up not watching it.

10. Laa astatii3u (لا استطيع) I can't
I heard this on I think Ultimate Survival Alaska. This girl had to shimmy across the wire above a dangerous river rapid, and she goes,"Laa astatii3u". I can't do it. That show just makes Alaska seem so creepy.
That's it for this time! Do you enjoy hearing from me? It's cool to be blogging, how 'bout ya comment, huh? It keeps me going. Bye!



















You Might Also Like

0 comments